Volleyball is a very popular sport and is played in many countries around the world. Do you want to play volleyball but don’t know the rules? Don’t worry because you’ve come to the right place!
How to play Volleyball and what are the rules of this game? Read our entire article and get a full idea of all the rules of this sport. So let’s get started.
What are the Basic Rules and Regulations of Volleyball?
Since you don’t know how to play volleyball, you need to get a complete idea of all the rules of this game. Let’s find out.
- There is always a maximum of 6 players on one side of the court. The net should have three players in the front row and three players in the back row.
- 3 touches per side are the maximum in this game. This means that you can only hit the ball (or contact it) before hitting the ball over the net on the other side.
- The purpose of the game is to send the volleyball into the opponent’s net so that the other team cannot send the ball back to you.
- Each game starts with a server who will serve the ball from one side of the court to the other.
- When the receiving team wins a volley, the team will serve in the next game, and all players on the receiving team will rotate clockwise in one position.
- A point is earned whenever the opposing team cannot turn the ball to the other side within 3 hits or when they let the ball land on the ground. It’s a way to win a volley.
- When a team “hits” the ball on the opponent’s court, that team is awarded a point. This is another way to win a volley.
- The point is only valid if the ball touches the ground within the drawn boundaries. If the ball hits the boundary line, a point is rewarded for your team. If the ball hits outside the line, your opponents will get one point.
What are the Violations of Volleyball Game?
- If a player moves over or above the serving line while serving the ball,
- Players cannot interact with the ball illegally. Some illegal contacts include double touching, lifting, carrying, and throwing
- The failed attempt to serve the ball to the other end of the court turned into a point for the opposing team
- Whenever the ball is playing, any contact of the body with the net is illegal
- This is invalid if the back row player is blocked. This is considered an invalid block when the player in the back row is close to the net and his body part is above the net when attacking the opponent.
- If the player in the back row attacks the front row (in front of the “3-meter” / “10-foot” line), it is a violation.
- If a player attacks the ball coming from the opponent’s side while the ball is still on the opponent’s side, it is illegal. The player can only attack the ball if the ball crosses the vertical plane of the net.
- It is illegal to block a ball if your opponent does not use their three hits and they can make a play.
How You Can Win a Volleyball Game?
- Ordinary games are played up to 21 points or 25 points. To win a match, a team must win by 2 points.
- Therefore a game can exceed a maximum of 21 points or 25 points. For example, a game can go up to 26-24 points if you play up to 21 points. If both teams are at 20 points, and each team gets one point after scoring another point up to 24 points.
- The team that wins the best two of the three wins the match. Sometimes games are the best three out of five games.